NHRL 2023 College and University Robotics Grants
Media company Havoc Robotics is building a new category of competitive sports, beginning with the world's largest and most competitive combat robotics league, NHRL. Havoc and NHRL are committed to inspiring innovation and creativity through competitive robotics and are working to create more opportunities and lower barriers to entry for students interested in STEAM.
The NHRL 2023 College and University Robotics Grants will award $1 million dollars to collegiate robotics programs, teams or clubs in 2023. Robotics teams affiliated with a US-based nonprofit university, college or technical school will be awarded grants of $10,000 or more to help inspire innovation and provide robotics teams with resources they need to reach their full potential.
- Launch date: Saturday, November 12, 2022
- Deadline date: Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. CST
- Decisions will be announced no later than January 31, 2023
Robotics programs/teams/clubs at US based, nonprofit universities, colleges and technical schools are eligible to apply. This includes robotics programs/teams/clubs that fit one or more of the following descriptions:
- Robotics programs/teams/clubs with significant past experience competing are eligible to apply,
- Robotics programs/teams/clubs with limited or no competition experience are eligible to apply,
- Students/faculty wishing to start a robotics program/team/club at their university, college or technical school,
- Student-run robotics programs/teams/clubs,
- Robotics programs/teams/clubs as a unit within an academic department,
- Robotics program/team/clubs with their own 501(c)(3) public charity status while affiliated with a US based, nonprofit university, college or technical school.
Funding may be used for official program/team/club needs, including but not limited to:
- Costs for materials, machining services or equipment costs,
- Travel expenses related to robotics competitions (i.e. flights, accommodations, food, incidentals),
- Any other needs that the team and faculty advisor see fit, subject to restrictions listed below.
Awarded grants will be made payable to the university, college or technical school, or designated 501(c)(3) public charity affiliated with the program, team or club.
Funding may not be used to support:
- Programs/teams/clubs located outside of the United States,
- Private companies hosting robotic competitions,
- For-profit universities, colleges and technical schools,
- Staff, faculty or student salaries,
- Indirect/administrative overhead costs,
- Student tuition or fees.
Havoc will award up to 100 eligible programs/teams/clubs with grants of $10,000 or more.
Applications may be submitted by a student from the robotics program/team/club or the program/team/club's faculty or staff advisor. If the application is submitted by a student, you will be asked to list the faculty or staff advisor. This individual will be contacted to provide more information.
This application requires applicants to provide the following information:
- Description of the robotics program/team/club. New and emerging program/team/club are invited to apply as well as seasoned programs/teams/clubs,
- Recommendation form completed and submitted by a faculty or staff advisor if the application form is submitted by a student,
- Additional information regarding the program/team/club, including photos, documents and videos, is optional.
Awarded teams are asked to provide a brief report on the use or planned use of the funds no later than April 30, 2023. Instructions will be included with the notice of funds awarded.
Procedures for Grant Seekers:
Access to the application is available through the Greater Horizons’ SurveyMonkey Apply system by clicking the Apply button above. If this is your first time accessing this application software, please click the Register button in the upper right hand corner to create an account. Once your account has been created, please return to this webpage (https://grants.growyourgiving.org/prog/nhrl) and click the Apply button to begin the application.
If you are a first time user, but your school or organization has an application account, please contact email@example.com or 816.627.3452 to be added to your school or organization's account.