Heartland Utilities for Energy Efficiency (HUEE) PSA Video Contest
This opportunity is open to 6th, 7th and 8th grade students attending an accredited public, parochial or private school in the following counties Platte, Cass, Clay, Ray and Jackson in Missouri and Johnson, Wyandotte and Leavenworth in Kansas.
Organized in 2002, the purpose of Heartland Utilities for Energy Efficiency (HUEE) is to promote energy efficiency through energy education, resources and actions to help assure a secure energy future for residents of the greater Kansas City area. HUEE provides grants to schools through a public service announcement (PSA) video contest. The contest is an exciting opportunity to engage middle school students to be creative and learn more about energy efficiency and sustainability.
Heartland Utilities for Energy Efficiency (HUEE) is one of the only dues-paying local utility collaboratives in the nation working together on residential energy efficiency issues. Member utilities contribute staff time to HUEE and charitable dollars to the Energy Efficiency Education Fund established at the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation.
On an annual basis, HUEE makes grants to nonprofit organizations to implement specific education projects and seeks other community opportunities for achieving its vision of "a community that continuously strives for the intelligent use and management of its energy resources within the marketplace." To learn more about HUEE and other grant opportunities, please visit www.huee.org/grants.
- Application Available: September 10, 2021
- Application Deadline: April 11, 2022, at 5:00 p.m. CST
- Notification to all applicants via standard mail and email will be sent in May 2022.
- Video screening for winners will be held in May 2022.
Contact Person: Sarah Forgey, firstname.lastname@example.org or 816.627.3444
A first, second and third place grant will be awarded to schools from both Missouri and Kansas. Grant funds must be used to further education in science and/or energy efficiency in the school. The HUEE Board reserves the right to adjust the grant amounts listed below based on number of grants from each state and quality of video at each level.
- First Place: (2) $3,000
- Second Place: (2) $2,000
- Third Place: (2) $1,000
Contest is open to sixth, seventh and eighth grade students attending an accredited public, parochial or private schools in the following counties: Platte, Cass, Clay, Ray and Jackson in Missouri and Johnson, Wyandotte and Leavenworth in Kansas. Please refer to the list of eligible schools at www.huee.org/grants.
- Submission must be made by school sponsor or school administrator.
- Applicants must complete a brief written application online.
- Applicants must mail a CD of their PSA video to the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation: attention: Sarah Forgey, 1055 Broadway Suite 130, Kansas City, MO 64105.
- Applicants must also upload their video to YouTube and include a link in their online application.
- Applicants must submit a release form for each participating student.
The entry content must address one or more of the following:
- Create public awareness of how energy is used and where and how it can be conserved (in your school and/or home), or
- Create public awareness about energy-wasting habits or appliances (in your school and/or home) and how to correct those habits, or
- Create public awareness about energy conservation alternatives (in your school and/or home), or
- Create public awareness about renewable energy sources such as solar, geothermal, hydroelectric, wind or hydrogen and biofuels.
Video Entry Guidelines:
HUEE reserves the right to make determinations of sustainability in its sole and absolute discretion, and to disqualify any entries it determines to be inappropriate for any of the reasons listed above, or for any other reason.
- All video participants must complete a release form.
- Videos must be longer than 30 seconds but not exceed 120 seconds.
- Video file size must be less than or equal to 100 MB.
- Submissions are limited to no more than one video per school, per submission and formatted as ".mp4", ".mov", ".wmv", or ".m4v."
- The entry and all elements of the entry must be original work and previously unpublished.
- The entry must not contain any copyrighted materials such as music, photographs, or logos.
- Entries must be in good taste and must not contain obscene or defamatory statements.
- The entry may not contain situations which expose any persons or animals to physical injury.
Total of two scores based on a) video and b) answers to application questions.
- The energy efficiency impact the idea will have on the school and/or home
- The use of the funds by the school and/or school district
- Solutions to the energy conservation problem
- Utilizing one or more of the energy-saving ideas (see contest guidelines)
- Entertainment appeal
- Originality and creativity
Procedures for Grant Seekers:
If this is your first time accessing the application software, please click the Register button in the upper right hand corner. If you are a first time user, but your organization has an application account, please contact email@example.com or 816.627.3452 to be added to your organization.