Heartland Utilities for Energy Efficiency (HUEE) Community Grant Opportunity
Established in 2002, Heartland Utilities for Energy Efficiency (HUEE) was organized with the purpose to promote energy efficiency through energy education, resources and actions to help assure a secure energy future for residents of the greater Kansas City area. HUEE provides grants to organizations focusing on providing energy efficiency education activities or the adoption of energy efficiency measures in the residential sector.
The Heartland Utilities for Energy Efficiency (HUEE) represents electric and gas utilities in the Kansas City region. HUEE encourages grassroots outreach efforts focused on neighborhoods or specific populations. Existing programs where value-added can be achieved by additional funding are encouraged to apply for grant funds. The HUEE board will review all requests for funding.
- Grant applications may be submitted at any time and will be reviewed at the next regularly scheduled monthly HUEE board meeting.
- Grant recipients will be notified of the decision of the board.
Grant funds will be paid when the project is approved. If materials are purchased, copies of invoicing must accompany payment request.
- A progress report(s) of project is required.
- The board, upon approval of the grant, will confirm the reporting requirement based upon the project (i.e., monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and/or end of project).
Contact Information: Afton Baxter, firstname.lastname@example.org or 816.268.3278
Grants can range from $500 to $5,000. The HUEE Board reserves its right to select projects it feels best meets the criteria of the program and goals of the organization.
Grants are made only to nonprofits that have current 501(c)(3) status in the state of Kansas or Missouri. Grant recipients are eligible to apply annually unless the organization was approved and received a grant within the past two-year period. Priority will be given to groups with a successful track record and/or well-established partnerships with other organizations that are participating in the program.
This program will operate throughout the Kansas City metropolitan area, which can be generally defined as Cass, Clay, Jackson, Platte and Ray counties in Missouri and Johnson, Leavenworth and Wyandotte counties in Kansas. In addition, the organization’s utility provider must be one of the following: Atmos Energy, Independence Power & Light, Kansas City Board of Public Utilities, Platte-Clay Electric Cooperative, Kansas Gas Service or Spire.
Areas of Interest:
Priority will be given to organizations with a focus on the following:
- Housing stock built prior to 1990.
- Increasing energy efficiency education awareness.
- Programs focusing on low to moderate income families, including education and follow-up on issues that need to be resolved (a third party may need to be consulted).
- General information and techniques to increase energy efficiency; rather than a specific fuel, device, or energy source.
- Purchase and/or installation of residential energy efficient device, i.e., caulking, weather-stripping, outlet/light switch gaskets, low flow faucet aerators and showerheads, water heater insulation pipe wrap, and minor exterior home repair to reduce air infiltration. (Limitations will be at the discretion of the HUEE board.)
- Labor or materials to weatherize homes in conjunction with a larger program (funding will be considered for small or incidental items and unit costs must be delineated in the proposal); total costs not to exceed $5,000 per grant approved.
Areas of Exclusion:
In general, HUEE will not award grants for the following:
- Basic or applied research
- Public awareness through paid advertising
- Payment of consumers’ utility bills
- Travel expenses
- Debt reduction
- Capital campaigns
- Event expenses
Procedures for Grant Seekers:
If this is your first time accessing the application software, please click the Register button in the upper right hand corner. If you are a first time user, but your organization has an application account, please contact email@example.com or 816.627.3452 to be added to your organization.